] ]

] ] ]
]
Welcome Guest ] ]
Take advantage of our free member features & special offers by registering to create a *free* account. If you're already a member simply enter your login username and password below...
Name:
Pass:
Auto Login
Add me to Active Users list
Yes  No
Forgot password? | Register
People Online: 30
Guest(s): 30Member(s): 0
Robot(s): 0Admins: 0
Memberships: 2222
The Newest Member is azierah
Member(s) Visited: 0 
UniQue Hits: Disabled
Statistics (unique hits) have been disabled to optimize page loads.
Most Online: 332
Occured: 30-April-15
Members[0], Guests[332]
]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Menu Navigation ] ]
 myB Radio
 myB Cool Pack
 myB Partners/Sponsors
 myB Forums
 Buddies Around The World
]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Top 10 Recent Posts ] ]
View Last Post Where is everybody?
Last Post By: ashk1n
Forum: Buddies Lounge

Posted: 21-July-13 at: 12:33pm

View Last Post Philadelphia mom group
Last Post By: PPLoke
Forum: Parenting & Family

Posted: 30-June-13 at: 12:18pm

View Last Post Looking for a confinement lady in redmond
Last Post By: aacew

Posted: 22-April-13 at: 3:39pm

View Last Post food
Last Post By: toadette
Forum: myBuddies USA

Posted: 18-September-11 at: 9:45am

View Last Post I have been isolated lately...
Last Post By: Libob
Forum: myBuddies Malaysia

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 3:04pm

View Last Post Baby

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 2:58pm

View Last Post Hot days and Cool nights are here
Last Post By: crispi

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 2:46pm

View Last Post Green Card Renewal
Forum: myBuddies Q&A

Posted: 23-August-11 at: 4:02pm

View Last Post MIA the longest

Posted: 19-August-11 at: 10:35am

View Last Post kumedd in Kentucky, USA (orginally KL)
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 5 » 6
Last Post By: Gila Nasi Lemak
Forum: Member Introductions

Posted: 15-July-11 at: 12:26pm

]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Sponsored Ads

]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Sponsored Ads

]
] ]

US Malaysians Events and Gatherings
 myBuddies.net- >myBuddies USA- >US Malaysians Events and Gatherings
Subject Topic: POLL:US Msians Dinner- California Edition (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : June 17th
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [ 0.00% ]
0 [ 0.00% ]
2 [ 100.00% ]
0 [ 0.00% ]
0 [ 0.00% ]
0 [ 0.00% ]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
gleearch

National Flag of Afghanistan Afghanistan
Posted: 12-June-06 at 2:56pm | IP Logged  

Ok guys,
Let's try to see if we can get this organized. 

I have listed the dates above.  Using Saturdays to keep it simple.  Say around 7:00pm as a good compromise time.  Not too late not too early.  Allows people to beat whatever traffic there is. 

We can create a separate poll for a restaurant, but I'll list two here. (addresses are in the restaurant directory but I will post them here later when we pick a date)

Banyan Tree in Pleasant Hill. 
Penang Island in San Francisco Chinatown

Everyone in MyBuddies is invited if they can make it and please feel free to bring your friends and family. 

In your replies, please let us know how many people will be attending. 
If somebody can help me with organizing this, it would be helpful. 
How do you guys want to do the payment thing? 
Separate checks?  Would make it easier and nobody will get upset if they just want to have a simple salad (no chance since this is about m'sian food but you get the idea) and not feel like they are paying for somebody's fish head curry. 
Or we can do it as a big multi course dinner where all the food is in the middle and last one out with the chopsticks goes home hungry but we all split the check. 

Let me know your thoughts.  How did the philly one do this?

Any ideas, thoughts and offers of assistance will be greatly appreciated. 
Back to Top Printable version View gleearch's Profile Search for other posts by gleearch

Rambutan

National Flag of United States United States
Posted: 12-June-06 at 4:13pm | IP Logged  

Aisey...  I'm going to miss this event BIG time... sok sek sok sek...

Kak Ram (craving for Malaysian food)

Back to Top Printable version View Rambutan's Profile Search for other posts by Rambutan Visit Rambutan's Homepage

RitaHG
myB Editor

myB Editor

Posted: 12-June-06 at 4:31pm | IP Logged  

Gerard .... I have a suggestion for the payment issue.  How about using the wedding dinner format where we all give the standard market rate angpao but don't necessarily eat every course.

Select a list of popular dishes from the restaurant menu that will likely be savored by all attending.  Post it here to confirm or replace if necessary those that majority don't prefer.  Everyone may end up not eating the whole spread on the the table but all will have something to enjoy. 

I wish I could attend but 800 miles is quite a distance in July.

Back to Top Printable version View RitaHG's Profile Search for other posts by RitaHG Visit RitaHG's Homepage

gleearch

Posted: 12-June-06 at 4:47pm | IP Logged  

Rita,
That's a good suggestion.  Once we know the dates and restaurant, I can post a limited menu selection and see what everyone agrees to. 

Oh, one other thing.  I'm just trying to move this along.  If you guys hate the food or anything else, don't kill me.  We're just trying to have fun here and meet up.  We can  blame Ray instead.  he won't be around, and since he's the big tai-koh of myB, the buck stops with him. 

Umm, so far no response from those in the bay area?  I'm waitting for my wife to tell me her dates and I need to figure out my deadlines and schedules. 
Cheers.

Back to Top Printable version View gleearch's Profile Search for other posts by gleearch

cyiwen
Groupie

Groupie

Posted: 15-June-06 at 4:26am | IP Logged  

Anymore voters out there?

Back to Top Printable version View cyiwen's Profile Search for other posts by cyiwen

gleearch

Posted: 15-June-06 at 12:38pm | IP Logged  

We'll vote soon. 
Thanks though.  I wonder where acid and the others dissapeared to. Obviously the June dates can't be done because we are running out of time. 
Cyiwen.  How many people?

Ray
Admin Group

Admin Group
Founder

Posted: 15-June-06 at 1:04pm | IP Logged  

Why not a sometime August.  A Merdeka's Day dinner!!!!

And some of u can help by contacting members here or ur friends who are in CA for this big dinner!  Start play a part in making this happen!!!! OK????

Back to Top Printable version View Ray's Profile Search for other posts by Ray Visit Ray's Homepage

gleearch

Posted: 15-June-06 at 1:11pm | IP Logged  

Ray,
Ok that's fine.  Sounds like a good idea.  How the heck do I edit the dates in the poll?
It doesn't seem to allow me to do so.  August would actually be better for me plus I think most of the students will have returned from their vacations by then. 

Just didn't want it to drag on forever.  Chances of it happening get slim.  So if it's a merdeka dinner, are you intending to attend as a rep of myBuddies? 

Heck, maybe we can get some big shots to sponsor us?  or at least join in.  I wonder if it is possible to tie in with the MPBA? 

gleearch

Posted: 15-June-06 at 2:52pm | IP Logged  

cyiwen,
We have cast our vote for the 8th too.  I figure we can see who makes it for that day.  Enjoy our dinner.  Even if it's a small group.  In the end it's about the makan. 

Then later we can try and organize a merdeka dinner and open it up to everyone else in MyBuddies who might feel like having a vacation in San Franciso.  Do the dinner at the San Francisco Penang Island restaurant then. 

If no one else responds, let's assume we are meeting at banyan Tree restaurant around 7:00pm. 
You can PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number.  Or just look up my web site and get my office number. 

Can't wait.  I will definitely miss Banyan Tree when we move to Oakland but will make it a point to return just to eat there. 

RitaHG
myB Editor

myB Editor

Posted: 15-June-06 at 3:22pm | IP Logged  

I can attend the Merdeka dinner in August if it is not on the 3rd weekend. 

A family friend (Malaysian) is moving with his family to Sacremento next month and I sort of promised to visit them.  Also need to head down to LA to register our marriage.  So thinking of doing all this within one drip down south.

Back to Top Printable version View RitaHG's Profile Search for other posts by RitaHG Visit RitaHG's Homepage

gleearch

Posted: 16-June-06 at 11:43am | IP Logged  

Rita,
I'll try and set up a poll for a merdeka day thing sometime in mid July. Remind me. 

jamy

Posted: 17-June-06 at 1:40pm | IP Logged  

Hmm.., I wish I can get the times to go and join yr guys. Might be in the future when I get off from school.  Have a very nice time getting  together and take lots of photos to share with us.
Back to Top Printable version View jamy's Profile Search for other posts by jamy

gleearch

Posted: 08-July-06 at 11:26am | IP Logged  

Ok.  Just a quick reminder to those in california that if you are interested, July 8th is today.  My wife and I will be there roughly around 7pm at Banyan Tree on woodsworth lane in Pleasant hill.  My contact info is on my web site which you can click on the link provided in my profile.

I think Ray has a picture of me floating somewhere on this site.  I can't find the link right now.  Maybe the usa section.  I wear glasses.  Umm, that will probably describe 90% of the people eating there. 

I'm not sure what I or my wife will be wearing.  we are still in the process of moving.  So excuse us if we look scruffy. 
Been too busy to linger in myB.  Hopefully in a few months things will settle down. 
If nobody shows, that's ok too.  My wife and I will still stuff our faces.  Leave a message on my office number and I'll return the call and give you my mobile number.

ParamJC

Posted: 09-July-06 at 3:40am | IP Logged  

Gerard - I kind of feel nostalgic that I lived for 2 years in San Francisco & there was not one single Malaysian that I could meet! And now that you are very much in that area, you are already putting action into your words!!

Anywayz Gerard, can you makan some Hokkien mee, char kuey teow & ice kachang on my behalf??  You may not even like any of the three mentioned!! , but I am hard-up for all things Malaysian right now!!

Back to Top Printable version View ParamJC's Profile Search for other posts by ParamJC

gleearch

Posted: 09-July-06 at 2:04pm | IP Logged  

Param,
Alas, at the last minute some of those coming had to cancel. 
We are just 5 minutes from the restaurant.  So we made a pass but since no one came we went somewhere else instead. 
We are moving out of the area so wanted to visit some of our favorite restaurants before we left.  So we went to eat sushi at Happy roll in concord instead.  I'm always up for getting together and eating m'sian food, so next time you and your family are in the SF area, just contact me and we can arrange to eat at any m'sian restaurant around us.  We are in jack London sq now, so we can get easily to any city in the bay area.  There's no m'sian restaurant in oakland, i wish somebody would open a good one.  but in Sf there's a bunch and further south in fremont, san jose and milpitas and mountain view, there's more. 

We actually did think about getting some ice kachang.  I like hokkien mee.  Which do you like the light colored one or the KL style that's dark?  I like the kl style.  Not sure why they call it KL style since when I was a kid that was the way they made it in seremban too.  I used to love mixing it up with maggi chili sauce and tomato ketchup.  Something about that combination. 

Anyway, we may go to banyan tree this evening for dinner.  We have been there almost every other day to stock up on m'sian food before we move. 

Anyway, back when I first came here, there were hardly any m'sians around.  Let alone a forum to hang and meet fellow m'sians. 
So while it was a bust, I did try.  I probably will try again later on if anyone is game.  Maybe shoot for the penang island in SF this time.  I haven't really tried anything other than their beef rendang which i thought was so so.  Banyan tree has good beef rendang, roti chanai/ pratha, fish head curry, red curry chicken (a banyan tree specialty, almost like a rendang ayam), good sambal kangkong, sambal okra, char kuey teow is ok, chicken rice is nice, nasi lemak is good but has no sambal belachan??, and some others.  sorry no pictures. 
You've to take my word for it. 

ParamJC

Posted: 10-July-06 at 11:30am | IP Logged  

Gerard - You are on - the next time we are in SF, I will touch base with you & we can go makan & you can meet my family too!

I love the dark one - I have never seen/eaten the light-colored Hokkien mee  Does'nt the kitcap make the Hokkien mee dark in color??

I have been to Oakland a couple of times, because my friend from Congo lived there with her family. She moved to Patterson near Modesto so that its commutable for her job with Kaiser.  

I did eat at PF Changs in Concord - OMG, I paid $75 for my meal & my other 2 girlfriends each paid that too. So the whole meal cost us more than $200.00  The 2 girls ordered wine, and I did not want to be a spoilsport, so we split the bill 3-ways. The white girl with us, who was a friend of my friend, was drinking like a fish at 2 in the afternoon!!

Why are you leaving Concord?? Its a beautiful city; my friend that was there for that lunch in PF Changs lived there for some time, she only complained about the high rent they were paying!

Back to Top Printable version View ParamJC's Profile Search for other posts by ParamJC

]
] ]