] ]

] ] ]
]
Welcome Guest ] ]
Take advantage of our free member features & special offers by registering to create a *free* account. If you're already a member simply enter your login username and password below...
Name:
Pass:
Auto Login
Add me to Active Users list
Yes  No
Forgot password? | Register
People Online: 29
Guest(s): 29Member(s): 0
Robot(s): 0Admins: 0
Memberships: 2222
The Newest Member is azierah
Member(s) Visited: 0 
UniQue Hits: Disabled
Statistics (unique hits) have been disabled to optimize page loads.
Most Online: 332
Occured: 30-April-15
Members[0], Guests[332]
]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Menu Navigation ] ]
 myB Radio
 myB Cool Pack
 myB Partners/Sponsors
 myB Forums
 Buddies Around The World
]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Top 10 Recent Posts ] ]
View Last Post Where is everybody?
Last Post By: ashk1n
Forum: Buddies Lounge

Posted: 21-July-13 at: 12:33pm

View Last Post Philadelphia mom group
Last Post By: PPLoke
Forum: Parenting & Family

Posted: 30-June-13 at: 12:18pm

View Last Post Looking for a confinement lady in redmond
Last Post By: aacew

Posted: 22-April-13 at: 3:39pm

View Last Post food
Last Post By: toadette
Forum: myBuddies USA

Posted: 18-September-11 at: 9:45am

View Last Post I have been isolated lately...
Last Post By: Libob
Forum: myBuddies Malaysia

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 3:04pm

View Last Post Baby

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 2:58pm

View Last Post Hot days and Cool nights are here
Last Post By: crispi

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 2:46pm

View Last Post Green Card Renewal
Forum: myBuddies Q&A

Posted: 23-August-11 at: 4:02pm

View Last Post MIA the longest

Posted: 19-August-11 at: 10:35am

View Last Post kumedd in Kentucky, USA (orginally KL)
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 5 » 6
Last Post By: Gila Nasi Lemak
Forum: Member Introductions

Posted: 15-July-11 at: 12:26pm

]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Sponsored Ads

]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Sponsored Ads

]
] ]

Member Introductions
 myBuddies.net- >Member Introductions
Subject Topic: kumedd in Kentucky, USA (orginally KL) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Forum Jump 6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
kl_gal

Posted: 07-November-07 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote kl_gal

Kumedd,

It took me a good 6 months or so to acclimatise to a certain extent, so dont fret too much over it. ( and I'd lived in the UK for 6 years prior to coming here and was somewhat used to "foreign " living). Things will sometimes seem overwhelming but you can always come in here and borak2 with us.

Re the food, how are you coping? I dont eat beef and would find it hard to live where you're living. Do you guys have a fair selection of seafood? Did you bring your Malaysian spices with you? Since you've located a temple already, there must be a fairly sizeable Indian population there..do you know where the Indian grocery stores are?

Re Thanksgiving and Xmas Decor, I'm pelik now too..all the "holidays" seems to overlap each other "theme" wise..the intention as I understand it though is Thanksgiving themes are based on fall colours and harvest themes and of course the ever present Thanksgiving turkey. Xmas decor is largely winter and religious based, snowscenes, Santas, Xmas trees, the manger scene,etc etc. Each year I've been here they've started advertising Xmas shopping earlier ( starting from the day after Thankgiving to before Halloween now)

Back to Top Printable version View kl_gal's Profile Search for other posts by kl_gal

Ray
Admin Group

Admin Group
Founder

National Flag of United States United States
Posted: 20-November-07 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote Ray

Kumedd...WELCOME TO THE US!!!

Time flies huh...u are now in the US huh!!!  COOL!

Quote: Kumedd

Other than that, I have never seen so many white people in my life!!!It's ok to see them in the TV back home, but really life all these white people are really big, some of them, and I'm wondering where's the big TV screen that these people are suppose to be in. I

U made me laugh so hard! I guess u will get used to it very soon!

U know what, while u are taking ur time to adapt to the new environment and people, why don't u start a new thread to discuss some of ur new experiences or questions that u may have about this foreign land called USA?  If u are ok with this idea, pls feel free to start that thread at "myB USA" forum.

Again....welcome welcome...!  And remember...kalau ada questions, feel free to ask or share ok.

**Changing the title of ur intro thread ya.  U are no more in KL...but US!   **

Back to Top Printable version View Ray's Profile Search for other posts by Ray Visit Ray's Homepage

Ray
Admin Group

Admin Group
Founder

Posted: 20-November-07 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote Ray

Kumedd...sorry u have no choice...I am starting the new thread for u and others who are new to the US!!!  Please come share ur stories and experiences with us..can? Click HERE.

Wuhoooo.....another Msian in the US!

Back to Top Printable version View Ray's Profile Search for other posts by Ray Visit Ray's Homepage

Elsie

Posted: 20-November-07 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Elsie

Hello Kumedd and welcome to the land of freedom! So much to see, so much to do, so much to plan, so much to experience and learn!!!! Take your time and pick/blow some dandelion!!!  I'm in the South and our weather is so much like Malaysia except for the one month of cold Winter (no snow here!) in January. So, if the cold gets too much for ya, come down here lah to the marshland! We have lots of african american and vietnamese people!!!!!  Maybe get to see Paula Deen (famous southern chef) at one of her restaurants here.

kumedd

Posted: 21-January-08 at 2:11am | IP Logged Quote kumedd

Dear Everybody,

I am so sorry that I have not posted anything on this site lately. I was and still am trying to adjust to Owensboro, Kentucky. I have been spending time with my in-laws and with my husbands's extended family. So, I have been up and going around this town, and also as far as Evansville, Indiana and to Loiusville, where Muhammad Ali is originally from. One of the memorable activities that I did with my husband was SHOPPING!!! As I came here without any Autumn/Winter clothing. I am so glad that I didn't get anything in KL. Comparitively shopping in the Owensboro was far more economical the in KL.

If truth be told, how I am spending most of of my time, it would be that I have been catching up on my sleep  and following practically every episodes of Dr. Phil, Oprah and Ellen. I think for the past ten years, I never really kicked my heels and enjoyed  time out. I am very grateful indeed to have this time to reflect and appreciate all the blessings that I have in my life right now.

The other activity that I have been doing is that I found out to my suprise is that I can actually COOK!!!! I mean, I could do simple stuff like Nasi goreng and mee hoon and you know, basic meals, back home. But now with all this time, I have time to bake and mess with recipes that I find on the internet. And best of all, I can get the spices that I need from Wal - Mart. So, I have been experimenting, and I have tried it a lot on the taste avenue with my in - laws as the are ever ready to be my guinea pigs. For Example, I made Samosas just the other day, my Mom in law and her sister loved it,  but father in law disliked it, he said it was too spicy for him.

Now, I must say, that Kentucky is a BEAUTIFUL country. I never imagined that it would be so crisp and fresh. It is very pictureque. The houses are very beautiful too, they have a quaint rustic feeling to them. However, winter can be very depressing too. I still cannot adjust to the fact that the sun sets at 4.30pm. It never feels like afternoons here. Whenever I look out the window, it feels like it is just 9am, but, the sun soon sets, and I wonder where did the afternoon and the everning go. And when it rains, it is really dreary!!! It makes me miss home all the more. Sometimes, I can't sleep at night, cause I think of KL so much. I was so shcoked to learn that there were riots shortly after I left home, and now I pleaseantly suprised that a holiday will be granted on Thaipusam Day. I am glad something positive is coming out of that experience.

Another thing that I have a battle with is STATIC ELECTRICITY!!!!  Aiya!!! it stikes me when I least suspect it. Does anyone out there have a method to avoid this? It is really a nuisance!!!!

Other than that, I am slowly drudging the reality that I have to find a job soon. I like staying at home so much and I am so relaxed that  I think I'm becoming too comfortable. I think, being a house wife, ain't a bad thing after all.  I guess the downside to that is that I have put on all the weight that I was fighting so hard to keep off. Anyway, I don't think I can do anything about it, until it becomes warmer around here.

Tomorrow, I hope my husband will teach me how to drive, now that I have to drive on the right side of the road. Traffic system here is a lot differnt from KL. I am excited at the same time I am very afraid. Sometimes, even now after alomst 3 months being here, I have nervous reaction when he drives because in my mind, Malaysian driving system is in auto pilot. So, that is the first hurdle that I must get over.

Well everyone, I am going to pause here for now. I will keep everyone posted on my latest developments.

Take Care

Lakshmi O'Bryan

Back to Top Printable version View kumedd's Profile Search for other posts by kumedd

tbeeean

National Flag of France France
Posted: 22-January-08 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote tbeeean

All the best to you Kumedd. For the static, I have it when the weather is dry. Not so much in winter as it keeps raining. Oh I did samoasa the other day too, hubby prepared the filling and I wrapped them.

Good luck for your job hunting!

song012000

National Flag of Germany Germany
Posted: 23-January-08 at 3:38am | IP Logged Quote song012000

Hi kumedd, I don't think I've introduced myself. I'm Sue, currently living in Germany. Anyway I wanted to say I've been following your story with great interest, from your marriage to life in KY. Do enjoy yourself at home. I certainly did (after having kids but it took me some time to adjust to being full-time at home).

Anyway the good thing about being in the northern hemisphere, Christmas is over so the days start getting longer.  I've noticed it already, at 5 pm now it's not as dark as it used to be.   

Back to Top Printable version View song012000's Profile Search for other posts by song012000

ParamJC

Posted: 23-January-08 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote ParamJC

Hi Lakshmi, Good to see you settling down. It takes times, just be patient, after a few years this place will grow on you. All the best.
Back to Top Printable version View ParamJC's Profile Search for other posts by ParamJC

kumedd

Posted: 24-January-08 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote kumedd

Dear tbeeean:- I'm glad that you enjoy samasas and much I as do

song012000 :- Hi Nice to meet you . I'm glad that you like my story. The other day, one of my girlfriends from KL called and she said that I should write down my story. Or at least write a short story. Aiyoo!!! I don't think I'm Jhumpa Lahiri material.   But boleh cuba!!!

Hi Param. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I really appreciate it you guys.

Love,

Lakshmi O'Bryan

Back to Top Printable version View kumedd's Profile Search for other posts by kumedd

kumedd

Posted: 29-January-08 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote kumedd

Dear everybody,

I just wanted to tell you guys that I drove my husband's car for the 1st time since I came to Kentucky. I nearly had an accident. I can't seem to get into my head that here they drive on the right side and we drive on the left.

Each time I wanted to signal right or left, I kept turning on the windscreen wipers.  And, a car nearly hit me because, I stopped at a STOP sign and started driving immediately because I thought everyone else was waithing on me. I didn't realise that at a stop sign people have the right of way when they are going straight. I wish they had more traffic light.

Anyway thank God no one got hurt. I don't think my husband is going to let me drive for a while.

Razlanb

Posted: 29-January-08 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote Razlanb

CikGu Kumedd,

Ayo! becareful lah.

By the way, did you enroll kat driving school in yr area first before
driving.

At least a few lesson to familiarize yourself with the road systems in
the US.

Next time kayoh basikal aje lah.

razlanb

gleearch

National Flag of Afghanistan Afghanistan
Posted: 29-January-08 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote gleearch

kumedd,
Maybe get a copy of the DMV's handbook and read through it.  that way you familiarize yourself with the rules of the road.  Plus observing how other people drive is helpful too. 
You'll be fine.  It takes time to get used to things here. 
I read what you said about the tv thing.  When I first arrived here and was sitting in a car looking out the window it did feel like I was watching tv. 

Oh, watch what type of shoe's you buy.  Some soles cause more static build up than others.  Plus if you get out of your car, always grab hold of the door metal before you put your feet down.  That way it safely discharges. 

Raz's idea is actually a really good one too.  Driving lessons don't cost that much.  Spouses are not the best people to learn from, sometimes. 

Back to Top Printable version View gleearch's Profile Search for other posts by gleearch

ParamJC

Posted: 30-January-08 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote ParamJC

Lakshmi - Despite driving for years in Malaysia, India & Dubai, my hubby & I went for lessons before taking our tests in San Francisco. This was good advice given by my brother, who recommended us attending a driving school for a few days to acclimatize ourselves to the roads & learning the rules before going in for the test. 

BTW - don't go for your driving lessons with your hubby! They are extremely impatient & keeping pointing to your errors more often than you want them to!! I got a Chinese instructor who gave me about 12 lessons so that I could get used to San Francisco & then took me to a smaller town to do my city driving for the road test.

Back to Top Printable version View ParamJC's Profile Search for other posts by ParamJC

G_Koh

Posted: 30-January-08 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote G_Koh

Lakshmi,

Like what Gleearch says, get the DMV handbook and study it.  I took my time in getting the license.  About 6 months after being here,  I think I automatically got used to the "correct" side of the road.  So when I went for the test,  I knew I was OK with that.  However do remember to do a COMPLETE STOP at a Stop sign.  I failed becos I knew how to smoothly stop due to 10 yrs of driving.  The examiner told me,  "I have to fail you because you didn't do complete stop" and showed me with her head going forward and then a jerk motion for stop.  Aiseh.. geram aku lagi when she says,  "I know you know are an experienced driver but I have to fail you because of that".  So remember... complete stop!!!

Good Luck

kumedd

Posted: 11-February-08 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote kumedd

Dear everybody,

Just wanted to tell you guys, that my driving skills are improving as I am getting my MIL or hubby to let me drive them around here. ( Shows you how slow this place is) But I managed to drive back from Louiville back to Owensboro last Saturday. On Sundays now, I drive form our apartment to my in laws house for breakfast. I am still kerning their driving rules and regulations. Picking it up as I go along.

On another note, guys, I have applied for a job at a local University in their resource center. I have an interview on Wed. I'm such a bundle of nerves now. But whatever happens, I am going to have an experience.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me

kl_gal

Posted: 12-February-08 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote kl_gal

On another note, guys, I have applied for a job at a local University in their resource center. I have an interview on Wed. I'm such a bundle of nerves now. But whatever happens, I am going to have an experience.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me

Yay!! Good for youTry not to fret so much, I'm sure you'll do just fine.Keep us posted on your 1st US interview experience 

Back to Top Printable version View kl_gal's Profile Search for other posts by kl_gal

]
] ]