] ]

] ] ]
]
Welcome Guest ] ]
Take advantage of our free member features & special offers by registering to create a *free* account. If you're already a member simply enter your login username and password below...
Name:
Pass:
Auto Login
Add me to Active Users list
Yes  No
Forgot password? | Register
People Online: 18
Guest(s): 18Member(s): 0
Robot(s): 0Admins: 0
Memberships: 2222
The Newest Member is azierah
Member(s) Visited: 0 
UniQue Hits: Disabled
Statistics (unique hits) have been disabled to optimize page loads.
Most Online: 332
Occured: 30-April-15
Members[0], Guests[332]
]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Menu Navigation ] ]
 myB Radio
 myB Cool Pack
 myB Partners/Sponsors
 myB Forums
 Buddies Around The World
]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Top 10 Recent Posts ] ]
View Last Post Where is everybody?
Last Post By: ashk1n
Forum: Buddies Lounge

Posted: 21-July-13 at: 12:33pm

View Last Post Philadelphia mom group
Last Post By: PPLoke
Forum: Parenting & Family

Posted: 30-June-13 at: 12:18pm

View Last Post Looking for a confinement lady in redmond
Last Post By: aacew

Posted: 22-April-13 at: 3:39pm

View Last Post food
Last Post By: toadette
Forum: myBuddies USA

Posted: 18-September-11 at: 9:45am

View Last Post I have been isolated lately...
Last Post By: Libob
Forum: myBuddies Malaysia

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 3:04pm

View Last Post Baby

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 2:58pm

View Last Post Hot days and Cool nights are here
Last Post By: crispi

Posted: 29-August-11 at: 2:46pm

View Last Post Green Card Renewal
Forum: myBuddies Q&A

Posted: 23-August-11 at: 4:02pm

View Last Post MIA the longest

Posted: 19-August-11 at: 10:35am

View Last Post kumedd in Kentucky, USA (orginally KL)
Pages 1 2 3 4 ... 5 » 6
Last Post By: Gila Nasi Lemak
Forum: Member Introductions

Posted: 15-July-11 at: 12:26pm

]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Sponsored Ads

]
] ]

] ] ]
]
Sponsored Ads

]
] ]

myB Highlights
 myBuddies.net- >myB Highlights
Subject Topic: YOUR SAY ABOUT MYB~! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author
Message Prev Topic | Next Topic 
Ray
Admin Group

Admin Group
Founder

National Flag of United States United States
Posted: 30-December-09 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote Ray

YOUR SAY ABOUT MYBUDDIES.NET

Dear all..

Before I make the next big decision on myB - to terminate, revive and grow, etc, would like to hear what u have to say first.  Also, please feel free to invite myB old members whom u know to drop by to share their thoughts ya.

1) Why do you think myB is so quiet now? (be as specific as possible ya)

2) What are the things you missed the most in myB?

3)  What are the things myB should do to make this online community site active and potentially grow further? 

4) Will you be part of the effort (in #3)? What would you do as individual to help?

5) How will you feel if myB is gone forever?  (tell me the truth.even..if u don't care)

Remember....we want to help, share and make a difference!

QUICK FACTS:
1) myB was started in April
2) We have over 2000 members now...and more than half of these members are Msians in overseas.
3) I am still funding this site in USD (fyi, I am making Malaysian Ringgit now!)
4) To reduce the monthly maintenance cost (could go to USD100-150), I actually made myB not easily searchable by Search Engines to reduce the bandwidth that it consumed.  That was not an easy move, but I need to keep the cost low.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!

Edited by Ray on 30-December-09 at 11:27pm

Back to Top Printable version View Ray's Profile Search for other posts by Ray Visit Ray's Homepage

Libob

Posted: 31-December-09 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Libob

Allo Ray man,

My thoughts is, perhaps we have more readers than contributors with     news/living/thoughts or whatever.

Malaysians living/touring pictures/news.

3)  What are the things myB should do to make this online community site active and potentially grow further?  Keep inviting Malaysians at home and abroad to contribute their thoughts/living.    ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;    

4) Will you be part of the effort (in #3)? What would you do as individual to help?
    I would invite people to come in to share their thoughts.

5) How will you feel if myB is gone forever?  (tell me the truth.even..if u don't care)
    I will have to call a friend to send me my favourite newspaper to keep me up to date.

Gila Nasi Lemak

National Flag of Malaysia Malaysia
Posted: 03-January-10 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote Gila Nasi Lemak

Hi Ray,

I haven't been long as a member of myB. But from what I have seen and read in past articles, you guys have given out so much information about stuff going on here in the US. As I have not been a member long, I don't think I qualify to talk too much on the subject but I will try my best to answer the questions you asked.

Apart from the few people who take the trouble to post or answer, there seems to be more people viewing than participating. I do realise that some of the topics discussed can be rather sensitive but we can always give feedback on topics that we want to take part in.

2) What are the things you missed the most in myB? I have heard that it used to be active. I hope we all can get together and get the ball rolling.

3)  What are the things myB should do to make this online community site active and potentially grow further?  More participation as well as more exposure. I have been telling my other Malaysian friends about this website as well.

4) Will you be part of the effort (in #3)? What would you do as individual to help? Yes and I have and will inform other Malaysians/Singaporeans that I know about this website.

5) How will you feel if myB is gone forever?  (tell me the truth.even..if u don't care).This is my source of info on immigration, food etc. I would be lost without it.

Back to Top Printable version View Gila Nasi Lemak's Profile Search for other posts by Gila Nasi Lemak

specialk

Posted: 03-January-10 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote specialk

Hello Ray, nice to hear from you.  I hope all is well with you and your family in Malaysia.  Please send my regards to your family.

1) Why do you think myB is so quiet now?  As GNL said, I think more members read than write in this forum.  Reasons unknown. 

2) What are the things you missed the most in myB?   I like the information exchange and the different viewpoints members offer.

3)  What are the things myB should do to make this online community site active and potentially grow further?  More participation.

Absolutely.  In order for the forum to be successful, there should be more participation.

I've got quite a big circle of friends here in the US and some in Malaysia.  My association with this forum lets me maintain a connection with Malaysians and folks with Malaysian roots.  If this forum is to be terminated, I will miss some of the good folks but honestly, I'm okay with it.

Back to Top Printable version View specialk's Profile Search for other posts by specialk

gleearch

National Flag of Afghanistan Afghanistan
Posted: 03-January-10 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote gleearch

Ray,
have you considered moving all the content from here to facebook?
Create a facebook myb account?
That's free and still searchable. 

Plus you spend a lot of time on facebook too. 
I think some of the old regulars have moved on to facebook. 

Plus once you stop being as active because of your move home, I think a lot of people dropped out.  I know some of myb regulars are friends with me on facebook, including you and it's nice to see the pics and status feeds. 

I've been busy and not as frequent on any forum.  Maybe some on facebook. 
Think about moving the content to facebook.  Except I think they have a limit on the number of discussions that can be displayed. 

Back to Top Printable version View gleearch's Profile Search for other posts by gleearch

robleong

Posted: 03-January-10 at 11:33pm | IP Logged Quote robleong

Ray,

Just wanted to say that my experience with Malaysian
forums is that most Malaysian members are passive and do
not bother writing or contributing - they just read from time
to time. You'll need a core group that are regular
writers/posters and you probably have this in this forum.
However, your moderators need to be active too to perk up
the forum (and to reduce the spam).

Cost-wise, the forum can probably be maintained very
much cheaper than USD$100-150 a month if you just pay
for hosting, use free forum software (e.g., myBB), and
remove the bells and whistles. Apart from Facebook,
Google groups or Yahoo groups is free to use too. I will be
sad if the forum is discontinued, but will be willing to take it
over in a different format if it comes to that. Good luck.

song012000

National Flag of Germany Germany
Posted: 04-January-10 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote song012000

Hi Ray,

First of all, Happy New 2010!

Anyway you wanted to know why myB is so quiet now. I'll admit I'm currently very prob one of the many passive readers than active contributing members. But that is mainly due to the fact that myB is very US-based. Being in Europe, I can't/don't connect with topics such as Black Friday Sale or Thanksgiving. What's more important to me are topics like the Lisbon Referendum or EU enlargement. Maybe you can understand me now that you're back in Msia.

Another reason is the lack of time. I work part-time and have my kids the rest of the time. I do check by from time to time but not always do I find the time.

I did find myB helpful and interesting some time back when I needed help/advice from other Msians. Whatever your decision, I do thank you for having had the opportunity to coneect with your Msians on your forum. Do let us know whether you'll move to facebook or google or yahoo.

All the best!

Back to Top Printable version View song012000's Profile Search for other posts by song012000

PenangGuy

Posted: 12-January-10 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote PenangGuy

Brutha Ray,

Happy New Year to you and your family.

I think part of it is from lack of content and contributions by members. As others have said I think once we have more contributors people will become more attracted to it. I know that's how I got into it initially. I think it's safe to say vast majority of folks here are passive members but if people contribute more I think even the silent ones will eventually start adding their 2 cents as well...

I missed getting info in regards to Malaysia etc and also hearing what other Malaysians are doing in their own little world.

3)  What are the things myB should do to make this online community site active and potentially grow further? 

Due to the diverse geographic locations of MyB members here perhaps you can do a slight redesign by adding segments or tabs to it  by say different continents and one that has newsflash type for breaking news about Malaysia... etc..That way Malaysians in europe/US/Australia etc can talk about something that is local to them but also easily see the latest happenings in Malaysia..

Going to try and promote this site to all Malaysians I know. Also going to contribute when I can. I know it's very very difficult to ask for donations BUT maybe you can do some kind of funding drive where each member contributes like 5 kupang!

I mean c'mon folks... even in this tough recession surely we can all donate 50 cents each right?

I'll be downing Prozacs and Zolofts till the cows come home. OK OK honestly probably not much BUT I think it will be a damn shame to sunset it since it has GREAT potential to become something so much more. A catalyst to connect Malaysians all over the world if you will.

ChrisKazoo

Posted: 18-January-10 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote ChrisKazoo

Hi Ray!

I didn't know that you're paying so much for it!! I run a side company that hosts websites for $10/month with a 50GB transfer and multiple SQL database. You probably need somewhere else to host it.

Do you have stats on the visitors here? I would very much like to help you on this. Your ad revenue should be able to support your website if you have over 2000 members.

As for your questions:

On y part:
- I've been very busy with my full time job and side company (Plan B) and projects http://autoclick.chrislim.com .
- I use an RSS feed for the forums that I'm interested in so you may not see my traffic. I check it everyday! I think many people don't know what this is and its a little hard in your Bulletin Board Software to view the last posts in specific forums (with using the RSS feeds)
- Many of our regular posters appears to have fallen off the face of the earth.
- I have tried to respond to interesting topics but its lacking of late.

- The fun banter between the people.
- The great source for Malaysian news and findings.
- the people here!

- Perhaps we need a "reboot" of the page
- Make it pay for itself. The ad impressions on the left
- SWITCH provider! Your hosting is incredibly expensive.

- I can host it for you. We can talk off MyB about an arrangement.
- help you switch/upgrade to a different BulletinBoard platform.

- It would be quite sad! No endeavor this loved should go away.
- I would find another avenue to quench my thirst for virtual online Malaysian camaraderie. Facebook?  Maybe start one with your guidance?

Back to Top Printable version View ChrisKazoo's Profile Search for other posts by ChrisKazoo Visit ChrisKazoo's Homepage

gleearch

Posted: 22-January-10 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote gleearch

Ray,
Listen to Chris.

I use 1&1 to host my firm's website and I don't believe in spending more than I need to.  Your provider must be super expensive and there are better platforms you can use. 

Plus I do think myb needs a facebook link too. 
Back to Top Printable version View gleearch's Profile Search for other posts by gleearch

hhlimhh

National Flag of Thailand Thailand
Posted: 02-March-10 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote hhlimhh

Ray,

It is pointless to keep this site alive with your own money. Like what Gerard said, some social network site can do the same thing, plus more with status and photos.

I suggest you keep this page as a landing page to promote MYB social network site in FB, frienster, Yahoo etc.

US100 can go a long way in Malaysia. Use it wisely.
Back to Top Printable version View hhlimhh's Profile Search for other posts by hhlimhh

Ray
Admin Group

Admin Group
Founder

Posted: 05-March-10 at 7:44pm | IP Logged Quote Ray

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Chris....let's have a chat ya...will reach out to u!

Things that are  very important to me and others are all the existing postings, discussions, great stories and info that were shared by our members for the past years...!  We have to find a way to retain them....either to start a new platform with existing stuff, or start a new platform without existing stuff!    Data migration is usually costly.   But as long I can retain the old stuff...then I am a happy man!

I need more inputs on how to best do that

Edited by Ray on 05-March-10 at 7:50pm

Back to Top Printable version View Ray's Profile Search for other posts by Ray Visit Ray's Homepage

gleearch

Posted: 08-March-10 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote gleearch

i know a few people who built their own servers and hosted their forums from their homes.  But they are pretty computer savvy people using linux servers etc. 

Talk to Chris. I bet he can help you. 

]
] ]